Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Up cycle

I keep finding these projects I want to try.  Found an article on cloth paper so now I have bags sitting in my sewing room to collect those bits of fabric that I hate to throw out but that are too small to sew anything with.  Then I looked up felting.  Off to the local thrift shop for wool sweaters.  I closed my eyes to the fact that these sweaters are perfectly good to wear and then dumped them into the washer with hot water and an old pair of jeans.  After a day of washing and drying and washing and drying I have felt.  Now, what will I do with this felt?  Good question... but if I put this into print maybe someone will hold me accountable.
I have some ideas and then I wonder "what will I do with these creations?"  "who would want them?"
But I am having fun and I am beginning to believe that maybe I do have some creativity in me.  And part of the 'fun' is using what is available without spending a lot of $$$$$.  I have a daughter-in-law who inspires me and her example of re-cycling and up-cycling encourages me to try new ideas.
But don't ask to see the sewing/laundry room!  What a disaster!  I get an idea, pull out the necessary 'ingredients' then move on to something else without putting anything away....  I must improve in that department........
And then of course there are meals to make, only for two but he does need some food!  Off to the kitchen..........

3 comments:

Stephy said...

I'm continually starting a project and then becoming distracted by another. This is the reason my sewing room is in a corner of our basement where no one else will venture. The end result are worth the mess I'm sure. I LOVE upcycling...way to go mom-in-law!

Alicia said...

Felting! Hooray for new projects, Good for you! Looking forward to seeing them, for now I will cheer you on!! :)

Joey said...

I giggled when I read this post. My guest room closet is home to a huge bag of felt made the same way from large wool coats and sweaters I found at Value Village. I think they will be quilt squares some day...but so far they're still in the bag. At this rate I'll have to live to be 110!