Friday, January 7, 2011

sounds of comfort

There is a Christmas song that has a line "tidings of comfort and joy". This led me to thinking of some sounds of comfort. Sounds that soothe, sounds that bring joy, sounds that satisfy my heart.

- the tick tock of the 100 year-old school clock hanging in our home
- the chiming of the grandfather clock in the night when I wake up and don't feel like opening my eyes to check the time. Yes, we have many, many clocks in this home.
-the 'stomp stomp stomp' of the JD Salesman's feet as he arrives home each day. This one is beyond soothing. It brings such joy and a settled feeling of comfort.
- the furnace coming on in the morning as I turn up the thermostat. All my growing up years were in a home with a coal heater to keep the house warm. I appreciate a dependable gas furnace.
- the 'pad-pad' of little feet coming up the stairs in the early morning when family is visiting
- the 'Hi Mom' on the phone when one of the three or their spouses call or I call them
- the sound of the vehicle when I turn the key. When it doesn't happen for some reason I realize how much I have to be thankful the many, many times it does start. I take it for granted so often.
- the whistle of the kettle boiling in the morning. Coffee is coming ! and I like my coffee......
- the 'quiet' when the wind does NOT blow

Not exactly profound but I am choosing to see the good, to enjoy all that I have. We are so, so blessed in this country, in this part of the country. I sometime complain about stuff that doesn't matter, about weather ( how unproductive is that!) and all manner of other things. remind me of my list when you hear me complain......


3 comments:

Alicia said...

I like these 'sounds'
Every one is holding a profound place in your heart!

Cheyenne said...

Loved reading this.

It is good to 'choose the good...' and reminders that we can even hear these things that bring us comfort are good for us, too.

Fitter After 50 said...

Does that mean you have French Press coffee? Have you tried the new K-Cups (Keurig) machines?