Wednesday, October 24, 2012

I look out the window....

I look out the window and see the snow piled where the flowers were blooming, where the grandkids were running barefoot on a treasure hunt.  I look out the window and see ice on the sidewalk where the rain poured down the spout into a pail that would water the pots of pansies.  I look out the window and see snow covering the last row of potatoes that I did not dig before we went away.   I look out the window and I am thankful for:
-a bag of potatoes that are safe and dry in the garage, enough to last until Christmas
-natural gas that fuels the furnace
-electricity to light the dark evening
-enough $$$$ to pay the gas and electrical bills
-there has been no tornado, earthquake, flood or any other 'natural disaster'
-our house is more than we need, warm and cozy
-the JD Salesman will come home with heart-warming stories
-more than adequate food
-friends who call, Facebook, email and come to care group
-siblings and in-laws who love us
-three 'kids' with amazing spouses and kids of their own
-homes and food for these families
-reliable vehicles to drive on the icy roads
-good roads that are kept relatively clear for driving

Where does the list end?  Does it have an end?  I doubt it.... I don't enjoy cold or winter but today I choose to be thankful for the many, MANY 'gifts' that I have.
I choose to thank God.

4 comments:

Cheyenne said...

Yes, even if we don't loooooove that wild winter weather, we can still be grateful in the midst of it all. How can we not? We can be grateful in the best circumstances, as well as the poorest...it is what will keep our eyes on Christ & help us to not just plod along but to LIVE!

Loved, loved, loved your list...especially the potato bit!

Colleen said...

This is so beautiful in so many ways! Your thankfulness has rubbed off on me so THANK YOU!:)

Alicia said...

Oh what a list. I was touched by Kai on Monday. "I'm thankful to finally have a coat that has a working zipper." I'll add: friends that share their loves, blessings and thankful lists. Treasures.

Peggy said...

You are truly blessed beyond measure. And the best thing is that you know you are and you are thankful. I hope you are enjoying this autum season.