Monday, July 21, 2008

Pride

I know that "pride" is not always this evil, horrid thing to avoid at all cost.  I am proud of our kids, our grandkids.  I take pride in working in our yard, cutting grass, killing weeds.  But I also have noticed a subtle pride.  When I think or say "I want God to be glorified in this circumstance...." whatever it might be, I am saying "I want people to notice what a good person I am.  I want people to see what a good Christian I am".  Someone pointed out to me that the tiny wild flowers on the mountains that no one ever sees 'glorify' God.  I think the birds that are in our yard, the ones that I don't always take time to notice 'glorify' God.  The more secure I become in knowing who I am, whose I am the more I realize that if no one ever sees or notices or cares about what I do, about who I am, I glorify God.  Not because of "me" but because of Jesus in me.  And in that freedom of letting Jesus 'live' in me, I become more 'who I am '. I am not thinking so much about 'what do people think'.  As in all my thoughts, this is a journey, a process that is far from complete!  But I am not as defeated by the failures as I once was.  I know that this is another portion of the 'journey'.
Sort of going 'round the mulberry bush but these thoughts have encouraged me this morning.

5 comments:

toomanywhatifs said...

'Pride' is an interesting word that is very often mis-used, I think. Pride is the exaltation of 'self.'

Pride in one's work, ie. a well kept yard, is one thing. But pride in our children is completely different, because our children have free will. They are who they are because of how they choose to respond to our, and the worlds, input into their lives. I cannot take responsibility for how my kids respond to life. I could maybe be proud that I kept my kids clean and well fed, but I can never be 'proud' of how they respond to life, because that is their choice, not mine. I cannont take credit (nor do I want to) for their good (or bad) choices.

I like how God said it... 'this is my Son, in whom I am well pleased'. Not proud..., well pleased. 'Pride' exalts self, 'well pleased' exalts the child, which is what we mean to do when we say we are 'proud' of our kids. We are 'well pleased' with them because of how they have and are responding to life.

We are not saying 'look what a good mom I am.' We are saying 'look what good kids they are.' (Unless we really are saying 'look at MEEE!!!', which, we really do sometimes.)

Grandma K said...

Point well taken! I am well pleased with our kids, our grandkids "because of how they have and are responding to life!" Is there a difference in being proud of rather than taking pride in?
ahhhh .... the english language
According to the dictionary... I have a "feeling or deep pleasure or satisfaction from" working in the yard!

toomanywhatifs said...

I love you!

Alicia said...

Pride (In the name of Love)
sung so exuberantly by Bono is one of my favorite songs.
It brings forth a passionate pulse to complete a work well done in Love!
The words expressed to my boys, We are so proud of you! Cause a freedom to express our love to them and watch as they are filled to the brim with thankfulness. We grow together as a family and each boy gets a chance to be themselves.
Pride expressed harshly is the unwillingness to accept that we are wrong or that we cannot do something. As with many other examples !!pride!! takes a child and exposes how harsh a human can really be.
Pride has nothing to do with glorify me , look at me so much as I CAN do this all by myself and if anyone points out that it cannot be completed by myself or without the guidance of God I will turn my back on them. Pride does not accept Love graciously*

wil said...

I think the day I stop struggling with pride might be the same day that I die...

Thanks for your blog, Grandma K. I love you! (And I might try to sneak a hug out of you if I see you tomorrow)