Sunday, October 23, 2011

A new day

As the sun came up this morning I watched those big hills (the Rocky Mountains) on the western horizon. The sun was poking through the clouds and shining on the snow. The dark blue of the blue Canadian Rockies combined with the brilliant white of the snow was pretty spectacular, again!

Then I thought of the news report this morning, how the earth had shaken in Turkey, how, in minutes lives had been turned upside down, literally. Loss of life, families torn apart, loss of 'stuff', gone within minutes.

I thought too, of the phone call the John Deere Salesman had this week from the daughter of a friend from years gone by. She wanted us to know that her Mom had died this week. Mom had gone to the doctor regarding a continuing gall bladder issue. He told her she had 24-48 hours to live. She did not make the 24 hours.

Life in my corner of the world is incredibly easy and peaceful compared to so many places. May I be thankful for the new day that I have. May I live in this moment and remember what really matters, what really is important.

1 comment:

wil said...

Wow, that really does put things into perspective. I feel embarrassed sometimes about how derailed I get over our first world problems.

Thanks for the reminder.