Monday, September 27, 2010

Does God make sense?

Recently the sister of a friend was killed in a head-on collision on a highway near her home. She was 50 and she and her husband home schooled their 3 boys. Beyond tragic....

A friend mentioned that it was one of those situations that are talked about in the book "When God Doesn't Make Sense". I think I understand the author's point but I ask, does God ever make sense?

I believe God created a perfect world, perfect and indescribably beautiful. Then he made people with free wills and we see the 'rest of the story'. There is greed that hurts people and greed that is making many places in the world very ugly. Tell me, does God make sense?

Then God asks/tells/sends his son out of heaven into this world as a human being to live like a pauper and die like a criminal. Does that make sense to you?

Quite honestly, I don't want God to make sense to my small minded thinking. No, that is wrong, I often wish God made sense to me but that is when I want to be in control. But then how could he be God? If I trust God, believe that he is good, that he is love, that he loves me then he doesn't have to make sense to me. I simply need to trust. I don't have to figure out what "it or IT" is all about.

Okay, now I admit it. God does not make sense but most of the time I know he loves he and some of the time I actually believe it.

2 comments:

Jenn Jantz said...

so so true. If only our simple minds could more readily accept the fact- HE loves ME. little old me. so much. that HE died a horrific death so that we. simple undeserving humans could be free... amazing grace.

Fitter After 50 said...

God makes perfect sense. It's we humans that don't. We just think we do. :) I am sorry to hear about your sister's friend. Things like that make no sense to me. :)