Monday, September 13, 2010

Monday morning

It is a cool, well, more than cool but not quite cold Monday. This morning it was raining, gently but raining and that means dreary. It is a perfect day to make stew in the crock pot. Besides that I have agreed that this afternoon I would take my sister and her visiting friend from the US to a coffee/antique spot that I discovered.
The meat was browned, the vegetables cut, the tomato sauce added and now the highlight: beautiful carrots from the garden. I don't plant much garden and after a vicious hailstorm a month ago there wasn't much left except these carrots. They are so long, straight, tender and sweet this year.
On with the coat, garden shoes, gloves and off to the carrots. WELL and again I say WELL! Was I in for a surprise. My wonderful carrots are more than half gone! Who would take my carrots? No, not who, what......
I had been told by Meralee that coyotes dig carrots but I had never seen it until today! They dug them up and ate the whole shu-bang! Some where hidden under the cosmos and the hail beaten tomato plants so we get to enjoy a few. I was more than incensed! but once that wore off I had to chuckle at all the tops strewn around and all the tracks. I am sure the whole extended family enjoyed the feast.
Oh, well, maybe next year we will have another good crop of carrots. But next year I will be prepared and will see to it that we don't have to share with the coyotes!

5 comments:

Stephy said...

I have never heard of such a thing. I would have had a regular 2 year old temper tantrum....and then laughed. Sorry to hear about your carrot loss!

Cheyenne said...

I had no idea coyotes would do such a thing! What a wild and untamed land we live in....ha! :)

Bet your house smelled divine with stew cooking!

Alicia said...

Really? We learn something new everyday, wow. Hope next years crop is more than enough. That stew sounds like a delicious way to start a Monday morning.

linjoprice said...

In my garden, something (deer?) just eats the carrot greens here and there, and leaves the carrots in the ground, sometimes with a few teeth marks in the top of the carrots....

And something is eating off my green beans but, at least, leaves the yellow beans for us!!

Grandma K said...

Now, linjoprice, I would be distraught if it were the green beans that were eaten!

Watch out for coyotes!