Thursday, March 15, 2012

for the joy of quilting

The first quilting class that I can recall was at the Big Stone community hall. ( yes, there is such a place.  yes, there is a big stone near the hall.  Any of the locals would be happy to show it to you.)  There were probably a dozen or so women gathered with their sewing machines, their stacks of fabric and of course lunch and coffee.  Shelli was our instructor.  Shelli is one of those capable, tackle anything, wise women who to this day still helps to keep places like Big Stone functioning well.  (I think I am off track....)

We put together a sampler wall hanging, trying various styles of blocks from a simple nine-patch to a more detailed dresden plate.  I used this as a table topper in A Prairie Chalet until it faded beyond faded!
I took a class in Hanna at Yesterday's Dream (no longer a store) and made a quillow.  Then Pam Job was offering a class at the local school in Youngstown and I made my first 'major' project, a double sized quilt.  I had no clue what I was doing, I just wanted to learn.  For the first time in the 20 or so years that I had had my Singer sewing machine I learned about the various 'feet' and actually put them to use.  Pam was a patient, encourager and I was actually quite pleased with the result, even the free-motion quilting, if I didn't look too closely.  It covers a bed in the spare room of the basement.

There were more small projects, baby quilts for each grand child, a couple more bigger ones for family and a special friend. Gradually I would learn the lingo and gather tips and information from class instructors, reading magazines and blogs.

When we moved to this great community I was 5 miles from a fabulous quilt shop with more classes and fabric than I could imagine.  I cautiously dipped my toe into the quilting world, would try something and then pull back.  Then a different class would be offered and once again I would try but would keep doing that old 'comparing' my abilities with others.   These women are amazing!  Alice is an artist as well as a quilter!  These are experts and talk a language that I barely understand sometimes.  I am also the daughter of Magda who made quilts only from old coats, leftover scraps of fabric from serviceable projects.  One never bought new fabric to cut up and sew back together into something that was simply for looking at.  So the cost of fabric would haunt me as well.

I have resisted calling myself a quilter. Jo is a quilter.  Trish is a quilter.  I took one of Jo's classes and she was so helpful and  encouraging. But I was/am still intimidated  by her knowledge and wonderful use of colour.  So, I have just told people I enjoying sewing and working at quilting.

A while back I took my machine for servicing and cleaning.  During my conversation with Al  I said how I didn't really call myself a quilter.  He looked at me and said "Have you ever finished a quilt?" My reply, "Well, yes.....".  "Then you are quilter.  Some people say they are quilters but have never finished a quilt."

I know it sounds foolish but that is what it took to allow myself to be called a quilter.

There is something about creating with fabric that is therapeutic for me.  Oh, yes, I get frustrated, I take out stitches, I redo seams, I cringe when I see some of the colours that I have put together or the corners that don't quite line up but I still love it.  I have a fabric 'stash' and if I see a fabric sale I add to the stash.  The JD Salesman never complains or rolls his eyes when I buy more.  And he raves over some projects and at others he just smiles.
                                             
                                         

I confessed to a friend the other day that I make quilts and don't really know what I will do with some of them, I don't have a 'home' for them yet.  She encouraged me that this IS therapy for me these cold days and even when it isn't cold, so just enjoy it!

I had a stamp made a while back, one that I hoped to make labels for my projects, one that I think describes the pleasure I have in my muddling with fabric and thread.  Now I must learn to make labels.......

 " for the joy of quilting" .

1 comment:

Alicia said...

They're so vibrant & lovely. Especially all the reds in the top piece. "for the joy of quilting" will make a stamp of a label! These treasures will find a home, within hearts too.