Thursday, July 3, 2008

A process

What has taken place over the last few weeks is no different from what hundreds of others face every day but death is still personal and death is always an intrusion.  No matter how one "prepares" for the inevitable one is never totally "prepared".  I wouldn't trade those last weeks, as hard as they were, for anything.  It was a privilege to spend time with my dear mother-in-law.  It wasn't easy to see her suffer, get weak, become so dependent but I learned from her as I watched and listened.  I learned about life, death, God and faith. I observed in Mom as I did in my own Dad that  we are never done learning, never done growing while we breathe the air of this world.  And that challenges me. I suppose there is the choice to quit learning, growing, loving and living but those two didn't and I am thankful for their example.
And now I, we, are in the process of grieving.  Grieving is personal too and I don't believe there is a set way or time frame for grief.  I do know that I have been so very weary and have felt as though my brain is in a fog.  It is two weeks today and finally  I am starting to believe I will come out of this!  Bless my dear husband for his compassion and understanding as he copes with his own grief. 

No comments: