Wednesday, October 1, 2008

the blahs

I recall the days from grade school, junior and senior high.  It happened again in college and I watched it happen to our kids as they progressed through school.  But I wasn't prepared for a case of the sunday evening blahs, the monday morning blahs that lasted all monday this last weekend.
It was a super weekend with 3 of the 6 kids and 2 or the 7 grandchildren.  I had been fearful of the chaos that I thought would be created by the annual"fly-in breakfast".  That went so smoothly, without a whole lot of pressure.  The whole weekend was just "good", I don't know how else to describe it.
Within an hour after the family drove away I had this dread, heaviness, sadness, ache inside me.  I was lonely, sad, grumpy, empty...... and I retreated into a quiet shell.
So what was that all about?  How can I prevent another attack?  Maybe I just accept it, live it and learn to let it go..... but I am a Grandma for heaven's sake.  Am I not supposed to be mature enough to not let the monday blahs ruin my day?  Will I ever 'grow up'?
Oh, well. Now it is wednesday and I am no longer grumpy but I still have remnants of monday hanging around my heart......

2 comments:

Alicia said...

First a hug*
Then what can I say...
It happens to the best of us.
Homesick for the next visit.
When where you call home is where all the family reunites, it is hard not to feel blah as you watch them drive away.
It sounds more like your biggest hugs to take the Monday Morning Blahs away come from a strong coffee date with a friend, even a different one each week. Or a long chat with one of your kids and icing on the cake would be if grandchildren jumped in on the chat.
When we ache for the next visit the next best approach can often be touch base communication.

Grandma K said...

Hug accepted and enjoyed!