Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Listening

Somewhere in the Bible it talks about the need to become like children.  I had that reminder recently.....
While visiting a family the parents of a 3 year-old told us about her dream.  She told her Mom that she dreamt that God talked to her about not being afraid. She also said that God knew her name. I don't recall all the details about the dream but there were 2 things that I continue to mull over and over.
First, she knew it was God talking to her.  I did a little looking this morning and found verses in John 10 that talk about the sheep knowing the voice of the shepherd.  Way too often I forget or overlook the voice of the Shepherd.  I don't 'hear' a loud audible shout but I know I can hear a quiet, gentle voice in my mind.  Yes, sometimes it is only my own thoughts, but when the words are loving, encouraging, gentle why do I over look them as God.
Second, there seemed to me to be a sense of awe or wonder that God knew her name.  That is a humbling thought for me too.  I get whiney, demanding and overlook the fact that God knows me personally.  He knows my name.  I want to be in awe of that.... to believe that and trust Him.
A little child shall lead them.....
Thank you "Dad and Mom" for telling us about this moment.  I have really benefited from hearing it! 

1 comment:

jenivere said...

How often I forget...the simplest of these truths...that God knows my name! This is what I needed to remember today.

Thank you for sharing this!