Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Phone call

The caller ID said "Private Caller" and because some friends have such, I chose to answer.
"Hello?"
"My name is Dorideknsl fanik kd and  akdiril fldldisnalgn windowl a d  f sls skdkff   ....."
( okay, this is not verbatim but the only words I understood were 'my name is' and the word 'window')  Now please understand that I DO recognize the fact that, at this stage in my life, when people speak quickly I don't always get what they are saying.  Add a strong accent and I am whooped!
"Pardon me?"
This time (duh) it connected that it was something to do with Microsoft Windows.  He was not going to try to sell me a window.
At this point I usually say I am not interested and hang up but I seemed to be in a particularly ornery mood so I pursued the conversation.
"I know everything about your computer and need......"
"You don't know anything about my computer."
"Yes I do.  You are Mrs. Arm (long pause) Mrs. Armstrong, right?"
"Yes, but you don't know anything about my computer."
"Yes I do.  I have all the information that is on your computer.  I have the number."
The number.  What 'number' would he be talking about.  Serial number?  Where would I find that?   Hhhhhmmmm
"What is the number on my computer?"
"It is 888 (another long pause)" but that was all I got.
"What kind of computer do I have?"
"It is a Dell."
"Well, I am looking right at it and it is an Apple."
"Pardon me?"
"I have an Apple.  I am looking right at it."
and at that point there seemed to be a problem because he hung up!
OKAAAAYY

Do people really buy into these schemes?

3 comments:

Alicia said...

Hahaha! But unfortunately this has happened a few times & we have had help phone calls asking if this is real? Some give out their number to great defeat. Perhaps they can get access to your computer if you give them the right info they need. Good thing you were in a 'particularly ornery mood!'

Peggy said...

That's funny! Thanks for sharing. I needed a chuckle.

Colleen said...

With my track record, I just might. ;)