Friday, October 22, 2010

Sunrise in October

Looking back I realize I focus a fair bit on sunrises and the changing seasons! Oh well, maybe I am easily entertained as I get older!

But from our 'vantage point' I do see number of sunrises and these do mark the changing seasons. In the midst of winter, when there is the least amount of sunshine I am usually 'on with the day' when the sun comes up. In June, on the longest day I am not about to observe the rising sun! I am blissfully ignorant of the hour of dawn! But in the spring and fall I am often having my coffee and toast as I sit in my chair watching the sky. And these days it is spectacular without a doubt.

Sometimes I think about the earth turning, wondering how many times it has gone around one whole revolution. I think about the fact that there are no bearings or axles or gears to wear out. I realize the earth is probably 'wearing out' but the fact that it never changes course, never speeds up or slows down really intrigues me. Maybe I am just easily awed!

The sunrises also make me wish I was a painter, an artist. I look at the layers of color, the blend of colors, the random scattering of clouds that constantly change shape and color. I take pictures sometime but even that doesn't really tell the story. Actually, a sunrise is just one of those things one has to experience and observe to get the full impact I think!

So, as your busy day starts, take a few minutes to just watch the sky and be enthralled with the beauty before and as the sun peaks over the horizon. You won't be sorry and it just might remind you of the wonder of life.

5 comments:

Alicia said...

You are an Artist, who paints with words. Thank you.

Jenn Jantz said...

amen,to that Red.... beautiful!!! James and I get up super early.(before the sun rises) when he goes to work... so we often get to see the beauty of a new day!!! nothing compares to it!!!

Cheyenne said...

Aren't we blessed to be able to see the beauty in the sky?

I read something the other day, it was a quote from the book 'Letters to God' and was written by a seven year old...it went something like: Dear God, I didn't really think orange and purple went together until I saw the sunset on Tuesday.' So true! He is an amazing artist-and sometimes I think people are so busy trying to capture a moment on film, they actually miss the moment. You are right we need to experience it! :)

Fitter After 50 said...

You made me feel like I was sitting right there beside you looking at the beautiful sky. You write very well. I like what Red said about you. :)

KaraLyn said...

thanks for this!:)