Sunday, October 3, 2010

My Mom

Today, October 3 is my Mom's birthday. I don't always remember so I am not sure why it dawned on me today. It was 25 years ago last May that she died and today I miss her. Not the gut wrenching sorrow that came when she died but I just miss her.

I was only 34 when she died and I feel as though I didn't really "know" her. I was too busy being a Mom myself, lived far enough away to not see her that often and never knew that I was not getting to know her.

She came to Canada from Denmark, in her early 20's, to marry her high school sweetheart. That 'sweetheart' had changed or else she had changed and she knew right away she would not marry him. I wonder now what went through her mind when she recognized that she would not be getting married and here she was alone in a new country! I will never know....

She worked for the Ostergard family in Dalum for a number of years before meeting Dad at the Danish-Canadian club in Calgary. She never talked a lot about those years but when she did it was with such positive, happy memories. Mom was not always a positive person so it must have been a good experience! We are told that she was known for her horse riding abilities in the hills around Wayne and Dalum. I wonder, I wonder...... I will never know.....


5 comments:

Fitter After 50 said...

I'm just catching up to your posts today "neighbor". I live next door to you in Saskatchewan so I know what you're saying about the rain. As for your Mom, I have no doubt you miss her. She is your Mom after all. I'm curious if she ever went back to visit?

Grandma K said...

Oh Sew Good.... Mom and Dad went back to Denmark only once, 46 years after they had left. My Mom's sister came to Canada for a visit a few years later.

asa said...

nice blog...

please visit my blog and follow .. thanks

Anonymous said...

My mom and dad died 5 weeks apart in 1999. I will always miss them.

Toyin O. said...

God will keep giving you the grace in your journey.

http://youcanfacetodaybecausehelives.blogspot.com/